The Media Consortium is based in Chicago. Note the deadline of Aug. 6.
Title: Marketing and Social Media Intern
Job Description: The Media Consortium, a network of 45 leading independent media outlets, is seeking an intern to develop communities on social networking sites (including, but not limited to, Facebook, YouTube, Twitter and MySpace); track the impact of blogs, articles and projects, and research new media trends and technologies that would be of use to our members.
This is an exciting position and we encourage creative work and thinking about community-building, technology and the future of journalism
Duration: 15-20 hours/week for 4 months, beginning late August. Applications must be in by August 6!
Duties: Intern will play a key role in crafting and measuring social networking campaigns to increase the audience and influence of progressive, independent media.
- Experiment with new social networking tools and technologies to increase audience
- Work with TMC staff to develop and implement promotion strategy and identify distribution partners for TMC content, including blogs and reports
- Write weekly news round-up blogs as needed
- Manage TMC pages on FaceBook, YouTube and other sites
- Research potential TMC funders
- Track reprints of TMC blogs and articles
- Assist as needed with Media Wire project
- Strong writing skills
- Ability to self-manage and meet deadlines
- Familiarity with Facebook, MySpace, Twitter, Delicious, and GoogleAnalytics
- Love of independent media
- Fascination with new media tools and strategies
- Some College
- 3.0 GPA or higher
Compensation: Interns will be paid a travel stipend of $100 per month, plus occasional meals and coffee should they work in office. The Media Consortium will strive to develop intern’s professional skill set and work with schools to arrange college credit. Interns will leave with a signed letter of recommendation from TMC staff. As the majority of this work will be online, telecommuting is an option for candidates with sufficient experience. Women and people of color strongly encouraged to apply. NO ATTACHMENTS PLEASE. Please email your resumé, cover letter, references and a list of your top five online media outlets to Erin@themediaconsortium.com to apply.